the lost year

Dedicated to those who lost me to a year that still remains unknown. Not to mention recovering that year for myself.

My Photo
Name:

A perpetual pilgrim stumbling drunkenly from one curbside to the next just praying to god the path is somewhere in between and along the way.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Illicit

You would be surprised what constitutes normal relationships in the army. Or maybe you wouldn't be, but I certainly was. I didn't notice it so much with the army wives. I mean, the guys I worked with didn't seem too interested in the civilian spouses, although they certainly weren't infinitely dedicated to their own spouses, obviously. It was something about being a female in uniform that seemed to do it for them. Of course, Tom had nearly convinced me in the first year of our marriage that I was wildly attractive, but I always tucked these statements into the "that's because you love me" file. He better find me attractive right? Then I joined the army and found myself virtually lavished in the undeniable attention of a large portion of the men I worked with, especially the married ones. The very first person I met when I walked into my new unit was a guy slightly older than me named George, and from that first moment he made sure he was the one that tried to make me absolutely comfortable in this new place. "Here's the dayroom and watch out for Sergeant SoandSo and don't worry about all that military protocol stuff around me." Well, you get the idea. He invited Tom to play on the softball team, but it turned into an excuse to teach me catch during the team's practices, since the team didn't really practice at all. He insisted that we host a gettoknowyou party for the unit at our house and then was the last person that stayed, falling asleep on our porch. All strange and disturbing moments that I quickly ignored and did not make sense of until later. A couple months after he left, I learned that he was fairly aggressive in his escapades cheating on his wife. Another guy that I became friends with told me that George had brought one of the strippers from Sidewinders, the seedy strip club outside of town, to this friend's apartment and asked if she could live there so he could visit her unbeknownst to his wife (and three kids mind you). He left after a month of me arriving to the unit and so I only got the beginning tidbits, but he e-mailed me about once a year until I got out. "You still in? Congrats on making Sergeant! You should come to Fort WhateverbaseI'mat!" The last e-mail he sent went something like: "Still getting out? You still married? If not, want to be?" I hope it is obvious that this e-mail went unreplied.



But George was essentially harmless...to me anyway. It was the guy that everybody at the unit loved that proved most dangerous. I met him also the first day, and he bought me lunch. Since it was my first day, I decided he was simply giving a nice gesture. This was to be a series of concessions that ended in an event that was inevitable in retrospect. I did not set him aside for special consideration in my psyche until the Christmas Rock Band shows. I was petrified to even go on stage, since this would be the first time I had ever taken a microphone in my hand and sung for an audience. Not just an audience, but an auditorium packed full of basic trainees bursting with the excitement of approaching holidays after the severe repression of basic training. I had considered that I would be the first female they had seen in a while, but rather than embolden me this just made me feel the pressure of the performance to a nearly stifling level. I vaguely remember Sifu giving me a thumbs up from the sound booth just before the performance, but not much was registering other than the quickly filling seats and the deafening noise of hundreds of young males. It wasn't until I was belting some stupid Gwyn Stefani Christmas tune and riding on wave after wave of testosterone directed at me and me alone that I started to enjoy my surprising moment of stardom. Sure, these guys would soon return home and remember that there were bands much better than us and girls much much prettier than me, but for those few moments...I was it. Lust was unbridled in every eye I caught, but the stage provided the boundary I needed to ride it and ride it hard. After the first show, the band went next door for a beer and Sifu met my bright eyes with a look I recognized from the young guys just minutes ago. Surely not I told myself, but I desperately wanted the protection of the stage back suddenly. He launched into a breakdown of the show from back in the sound booth and how all the guys back there had been talking in no uncertain terms about me in very specific ways. "Well, I leaned over to one of them and said, 'That's my wife!." Raucous laughter. The story was a hit. And I was left certain that I was the only who had seen that look come back over him as he hit the punchline and nailed me with his eyes again.

The day before the band's Christmas block leave, I was working late in The Cave (the back supply room), and he came back for the sole purpose of saying goodbye. "Give me a hug," he said, as if we had become great friends and this was what friends did. I mean, of course I would hug someone I considered close, but the connection was not of that sort and I was pretty certain he was closer than he should be already. But being the true pacifist I am, I stood and gave him his awkward hug and gave every impression that I too was sad it would be a couple weeks and how much I hoped he had a good vacation. Soon after Christmas, he bought me lunch again, and I again excused it since we were with a large group of people and he claimed to owe me for some favor that I couldn't remember. It was just easier to let him pay than cause a scene in front of people that would certainly consider it my problem and actually be mad for insinuating something awful of this guy that was considered the coolest person in the unit. He was the guy that had all the barrack's rats over for barbecues. He was the one that ran the sound for the unit because no one else cared enough. He was also the one that came to the rescue whether it be replacing music someone else had misplaced or picking someone up who was too drunk to drive. He was smart and funny and made everyone else feel like what they were doing was worthwhile. So, yeah, I let the man pay, and I still feel the residue of silliness for regretting that so much.

Then he found out he was getting shipped to Korea for a year and Lewis after that. Several months down the road, but I began to feel a goodbye coming that I did not want. Don't get me wrong, it was not that I didn't want to say goodbye. Goodbye was the only way I saw out of this that wouldn't put me on everyone else's shitlist. Just like George, once he was out of the unit, I could ignore even the memory of him and no one would be the wiser for it. It was just that I began to realize that he would see his departure as an event and an opportunity. His efforts had become more explicit the last few months (a special trip to the store to get me cough drops when I was sick; getting angry when I brought Tom to the restaurant he had invited me to for lunch; hanging out with me hour after hour when I had desk duty; etc.), and I had the desperate feeling that I would not be getting out of this madness as easily as I hoped.

The first two years Tom and I were at Fort Sill, we bowed to the compellation to attend unit parties, though we got over this after Sifu's farewell party. I could have easily found an excuse not to attend this fatal gathering, but I was still fearful of what I would project to the rest of the unit. What could be more conspicuous than bailing on the party for the most popular guy in the unit? I feared the questions that this would stimulate and so Tom and I got dressed and got booze and went to Sifu's house. When we got there, I was suprised to find that it was a rather select gathering: just the cool barrack's rats and Sifu's closest of close friends from the unit. It made me so appallingly uncomfortable to be faced with the proof that he considered me part of this selection that I decided immediately to get drunk and fast, the only coping skill the army had pointed the way to. After two quadruple shot Cosmos within a half hour, I began to feel the liberation of blissful apathy. I transformed into a social butterfly, flitting to the several people playing Xbox and then into the kitchen for shots, finally landing on the couch in a heavy stupor. And Sifu was there waiting for me, his arm sliding easily behind me as I collapsed onto the cushions. And his lips were at my ear, brushing the sensitivity of my lobe as he whispered, "It's you I don't want to leave. It's you." I remember patting his knee as I would to indulge the mindless babbling of a child or an incompetent adult, but he seemed to read it as acceptance and tightened his grip around my waist. I remember laughing uncomfortably but not moving. I'm not sure I was capable of moving, having completely lost count of the shots I had delivered to my system, but I don't remember trying. I was frozen and he was leaning on my shoulder now and sighing. My vision was unsteady, but I found sudden focus when I lifted my eyes and saw his wife looking at us. Suddenly all the excuses I had given myself to allow this man every insignificant step towards this vanished. I knew only that this was wrong and that I had not stopped it. I could hear Tom in the kitchen and immediately realized that he was avoiding what Sifu's wife was staring at right now: this spectacle of her husband and this stupid girl that was obviously encouraging him.

I was sick for 24-hours straight after Tom got me home. I couldn't keep water down until the next night and should have gone to the hospital, but I wouldn't allow it. I told Tom I couldn't deal with the people in my chain of command coming down on me if I went to the hospital for alcohol poisoning, which was true. But I also felt I deserved it. How many opportunities had I had to stop this, and here I was with this other man's smell in my hair and sweat. I could see the betrayal in Tom's eyes, and did not know how to explain the feeling of being raped combined with the guilt of contributing to an affair. All this man had needed was my inaction and I had given it without noticable complaint. As soon as I could get out of bed, I went to the computer and wrote an e-mail to Sifu telling him that I did not mean to give him the impression that he could touch me like that and that he was certainly not welcome too. I made Tom read it before I sent it and begged him to believe me that I meant it. How awful it was to need comfort so desperately for something that I must ask forgiveness for first. If I could not explain it to myself sufficiently, how was I to gain Tom's trust again?

I have often wondered how couples recover after the willing betrayal of one of them with another. It was hard enough dealing with me being an unwilling accomplice to an affair that never reached what would be considered fruition. All I can say is that the details of the betrayal are much easier to lay out than the path and manner of healing. I sit here now and know that Tom sees in that night what I understand from it and that we do not doubt each other any longer. I know that I did not allow the series of events that led to that night to replicate, and no longer took it for granted that I was simply "one of the guys". It is impossible to be anything less than one of the guys as one of the very few females in the army, but I kept it with me always after that night that how I saw myself could be infinitely separated from how this or that guy saw me. What had been a thrill at first - the lingering glances, the obvious attractions - carried the edge of reality and memory. The only glance that remained was that of Sifu's wife showing me the betrayal I was capable of and the pain that must follow. Such was my coming of age in the war machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home